For the best local dining recommendations in Nelson City, follow staff member Nick and get to know his top foodie spots.
“Life’s too short to drink bad wine – if it’s not good enough to drink, it’s not good enough to cook with!”
Nick’s top picks:
- Espresso martinis at Urban Eatery & Oyster Bar on Hardy Street on a Friday night … great atmosphere and staff (warning: Friday nights get crowded!), followed by a nightcap on the way home at Rhythm and Brown bar on New Street
- Favourite Nelson (central city) restaurants – Cod and Lobster Brasserie (lots of seafood) and Hopgoods – both at the top end of Trafalgar Street
- One of the newest additions to the hospitality scene in Nelson Nelson Arden Bar and Kitchen - terrific small bites and unusual wines
- Browsing the shelves for fantastic Mediterranean ingredients at Prego Mediterranean Foods on Collingwood Street (grab some great French cheeses)
- One of Nelson’s best-kept secrets – dining in at New Asia Chinese restaurant on Hardy Street – the boneless roast duck is AMAZING!
- Almond croissants and the best European pastries in Nelson are located at The Baker’s Coffee Shop on Collingwood Street (the coffee’s great as well)
- Wandering the Nelson Market on Saturday morning (sadly, I don’t get to do this often enough!)
- Book browsing (the sci-fi/fantasy section in particular) at Nelson’s best bookshop – Page & Blackmore Booksellers on Trafalgar Street
View this post on Instagram
Nick’s tip: Espresso martinis at Urban Eatery & Oyster Bar on Hardy Street on a Friday night … great atmosphere and staff (warning: Friday nights get crowded!), followed by a nightcap on the way home at Rhythm and Brown bar on New Street⠀ .⠀ #monacofavourites #monacostafftips #topofthesouthtips
He enjoys eggs Benedict at the weekend, sniffing out great cheese scones, enjoying a good glass of shiraz or riesling on the fun side of the bar, working two jobs and managing a coffee addiction!
For more local tips follow us on Instagram @teammonaco_resort